Thursday, February 25, 2010

Chocolate Cookies

I think what I love about this recipe is its wonderful simplicity. No having to melt chocolate, or sift flour, or go through any complicated process really. In fact, it's so simplistic that it's been kind of hard to come up with what I want to say about them. I baked these cookies a couple of days ago, and started this post a couple of days ago...but for some reason I've felt a little unmotivated and unsure of what I wanted to say. But don't let that put you off of these cookies...they may be simplistic, but they're still delicious.

These cookies are buttery, chewy, and have a light chocolatey-ness about them, and I really love that. Not every recipe that has chocolate in it has to be deeply rich and dark. Of course, that's delicious every once in a while too, but now and then I like to have a much simpler chocolate treat and these cookies fit the bill. Made simply with cocoa powder and a nice dose of butter gives them a simple but tasty flavor and a chewiness that actually doesn't even require refrigeration. I'm usually a hugely strong supporter of refrigerating cookie dough, but this cookie will be chewy regardless of whether you refrigerate the dough or not, which is great when you're craving a nice, chewy cookie right then and there. White chocolate chips can be added if you like, although I actually prefer them plain. I'm not too sure where I found this recipe, as I printed it out a long time ago and the paper has been fortunate enough to not get ingredient spills all over it, so just know that this isn't my recipe.

Chocolate Cookies
If you're like me and make slightly larger cookies, this recipe should yield about 2 dozen.

Ingredients
  • 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla
  • 2 cups unsifted all-purpose flour
  • 2/3 cup Hershey's unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 cups white chocolate chips (optional)
Directions
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Cream butter, sugar, eggs, and vanilla until light and fluffy.
  2. Combine flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt; add to creamed mixture. Stir in white chocolate chips if using.
  3. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheet, or chill until firm enough to handle and shape small amounts of dough into 1 inch balls. (I just use two spoons to drop dough onto the sheet. I used probably at least 1 1/2 tablespoons of dough for each cookie.)
  4. Bake cookies for 8-10 minutes, or until edges seem set and crisp while inside still appears puffed and chewy.
I forgot that I wanted to make some with white chocolate chips, so I hurriedly pressed some into two of the cookies halfway between baking.


But like I said, I do still enjoy these best when they are plain and simple without anything to hinder the wonderfully chocolate, buttery flavor. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment