Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Oreo Truffles

I've been going through a bit of a row with my laptop here recently. About a week ago, it started acting up. Windows would load just fine but...nothing I clicked would come up! Every once in a while, a fair few folders would come up, but programs, the internet, task manager...even my shut down button wouldn't work! Admittedly, I spend way too much time on my laptop, so you can imagine how upset I was when this happened. But finally, I saved all of my files and whatnot and my brother was able to reset my computer back to the way it was when I first got it. Restoring my files was pretty simple and finally I've got my laptop back to the way it was. Yay! I've actually made three recipes since and wasn't able to put them up, so now I'm working on posting them as quickly as possible.

If you haven't made Oreo truffles or at least had them before, you need to make them. NOW. Seriously, scroll down and save the recipe and make them as soon as possible. Honestly, everything about these things is amazing. They're delicious, easy to make, require only three ingredients, and best of all, even though they're so simple, they are huge crowd pleasers. I made these for my last day of Film and Lit class, and they were devoured. The insides are nice and soft and have that wonderful Oreo taste and even though you use cream cheese to make the filling, you can't taste it, which is great for me being as I'm not the biggest fan of cream cheese. I think the white chocolate coating is a great compliment too. I've seen them covered with other types of chocolate, and had one that was coated in semi-sweet before and honestly, I think white chocolate is best. Believe it or not, the sweetness isn't overwhelming at all. But feel free to coat them in whatever chocolate you like. Just try them!

Oreo Truffles
(from some unknown maker of this amazing recipe...I honestly wish I had come up with this, ha ha)
Yields about or a little over 50 truffles. It depends on how big you make them. My batch yielded 52. If you make them smaller, you could even make up to 60 of them.

Ingredients
  • 1 regular package Oreo cookies (Feel free to try out different kinds. Most recipes tell you not to use Double Stuf, but I have before and it's worked out just fine. Try mint, Golden Oreos, or what have you.)
  • 1 (8 oz.) package cream cheese, softened
  • About 1 1/2 to 2 (12 oz.) bags of white chocolate chips
Directions
  1. Crush the entire package of Oreo cookies into small crumbs. (I use a food processor and this works best. If you don't have one, you can put the cookies in double layered ziploc bags [the cookies will break through just one bag, so double up to avoid that] and use your hands or a rolling pin to crush them. You can also just put them into a bowl and crush them with a fork if you want.) Place the crumbs into a large bowl of an electric mixer and add the cream cheese. Mix until completely combined.
  2. If desired, refrigerate the mixture, covered, for several hours or overnight for easier handling. Roll the mixture into about 1-inch balls and place on a cookie sheet to set back into the refrigerator to firm up.
  3. Melt about half of 1 (12 oz.) bag of white chocolate at a time. Place the chips into a microwave-safe bowl and microwave for 1 minute. Remove the bowl and stir. If the chips are not completely melted, place back into the microwave for 10-15 seconds. Remove and stir. If there are only a few little pieces left, do NOT put back in the microwave. Just stir and the heat from the mixture will melt these. (If you let white chocolate get too hot, the chocolate will seize, and once that happens, there's pretty much almost nothing you can do to bring it back, so be careful!!)
  4. Coat the Oreo balls in the white chocolate, melting more chocolate when needed. For ease and a nice, round coating, use a fork to coat the balls. Place one ball in the white chocolate and use the fork to scoop up white chocolate to coat the top and side. Carefully slide your fork underneath the truffle, lift up, and shake slightly, letting the excess chocolate drip through the prongs. Wipe any remaining chocolate on the bottom of the fork on the side of the bowl and place the truffle on parchment or wax paper, or aluminum foil. If any patches on the truffle are left uncovered when you put it down, quickly use your fork and patch those places with a little white chocolate. Let the chocolate harden. Repeat for remaining truffles.
  5. Serve and enjoy! Store any remaining truffles in a bowl in the refrigerator.

No comments:

Post a Comment